.

.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

A Wonderful Surprise

Dear Baby Brooks -

Here we go! You're on the way...well, in the next 30 weeks or so. Your Daddy and I are so happy and are so excited to meet you. We are going to use this space to document the first 40 weeks of your life. We'll fill it with memories, thoughts, and random happenings. We want to remember every moment of our patient wait for your arrival. We've only known you were coming for about 2 weeks now and we are smitten already. You have filled most of our conversations lately and we know that you will only continue to consume our lives and fill them with love and excitement.

There's no better place to start than the beginning I suppose. On January 10, I woke up around 3:00 am feeling like the room was spinning. A few hours later when my alarm clock went off, I still felt pretty queasy. I got out of bed, showered, and tried to get ready for work. I just couldn't kick that woozy feeling. I woke your Daddy up and told him I felt kind of crummy and that I was going back to bed. I woke up an hour or so later and thought to myself, well, might as well take a quick pregnancy test. Still feeling a little sleepy and not so wonderful, I took a very quick peek at the test, saw only one line, and went back to sleep...for about three hours. When I woke up for the third time that morning and made my way to the bathroom, that little test was still sitting on the counter staring at me, only this time there were two lines instead of one. Two! So, being me, the first thing I did was take a picture. :-)

OK...so, now that there was photo evidence, I said to myelf, "Self, take another one." So, I did, and what do you know...two lines again! 

Yep, definitely pregnant. I looked at your furry brother, Buddy, he looked at me, and I think we both knew our lives were never going to be the same. I didn't want to tell your Daddy over the phone, so I just sat around all day, me and Buddy, feeling kind of terrible, and wondering what was and wasn't safe to eat! There are a lot of rules about that by the way! Because your Daddy is so sweet, he called four or five times that day to see how I was feeling. I never answered of course and was watching the clock all day anxiously awaiting his arrival home from work.

He walked in the door, said hello to Buddy, and then came into the kitchen to ask how I was feeling. I don't remember exactly the words I said, but it was somewhere along the lines of, "Well, I still don't feel great, but I know why I don't feel so great." Your Daddy immediately asked if I was pregnant. I said yes and told him that I'd taken two tests just to be sure! He kept saying things like, "No way!" "Really?!" and then he said, "Congratulations!" I said, "You too," and the journey to you began.

We went out to dinner at Mellow Mushroom to celebrate...nothing too fancy considering my tummy and I still weren't on the best of terms! I seriously didn't even know what to order for dinner. Here's how it went in my head..."OK, so I don't think I'm technically supposed to eat deli meat, so do pepperoni and ham on a pizza count as deli meat? And if they do, is it OK because it's heated? And what's the real deal with caffeine? Can I have a little bit? Is it bad if I order an unsweet tea? Ugh...so confusing! I'll have a water and a grilled chicken sandwich." I know a little more now and realize that yes, I could have had pizza with meat on it and the tea would have been fine, but I'll tell you this...if I had to only eat chicken and drink water for 40 weeks to keep you safe, you can bet I'd do it with pleasure.


XOXO
Mommy and Daddy

No comments:

Post a Comment